On December 5th, 2016, a group of celebrities and activists arrived at the InterActiveCorps’ headquarters in New York to attend the third annual Vital Voices; Voices of Solidarity Event, just ahead of International Human Rights Day (December 10th).
Hosted by comedian Seth Meyers, and actress Allison Williams, who were joined by such talents as iconic actress Sally Field, and fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg as presenters, along with Meyers’ own wife, Alexi Ashe Meyers.
The gala is given by Vital Voices, an organization which works to identify and invest in extraordinary woman with a vision across the globe, giving them the tools to become effective leaders in their communities, and work towards a common goal of equality and peace.
Vital Voices has trained over 15,000 remarkable female leaders, from over 140 countries since they began in 1997.
Those women have returned to their communities, and have collectively mentored over 500,000 more extraordinary woman.
Gender-based prejudice cannot be defeated by woman alone, men and woman must work together to achieve peace and equality. And that is what Voices of Solidarity aims to recognize; the courageous and compassionate men who have advocated for the equality of women in the Unites States and abroad.
Men who have given their time, talents, and resources to stand up against gender-based violence.
The 2016 Voices of Solidarity Awards honored six exceptional men who have stood up for woman in their communities, and across the globe, through their varied lines of work and expertise. They are…
- United Nations Secretary General Designate and Global Trailblazer Honoree Antonio Guterres who prioritizes the empowerment of women, appointing three woman to top UN posts.
- Dallas Texas Mayor Mike Rawlings who has stood up against violence towards women.
- Undercover Colors Founders Tyler Confrey-Maloney, and Steve Gray who help prevent sexual assault with a drug-detection nail polish line.
- Vice President, Cassation Court, Jordan Judge Doctor Mohammed Al-Tarawneh who advocates for the empowerment and improvement of the lives of women and youths.
- President & CEO at Heineken Mexico, Dolf van den Brink who works to promote systemic change on the social and economic level.
Visit http://www.vitalvoices.org/ to learn more about the organization and upcoming events.